Founded in 1936, The Arc of King County is the oldest non-profit organization serving children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families in the Greater Puget Sound area, and is one of the oldest such organizations in the United States. It is an affiliated chapter of The Arc of Washington and The Arc of the United States.
Who We Help
We work with children and adults with all forms of developmental disabilities and their families. Developmental disabilities are conditions that occur prior to the age of 18 and are expected to last for life, and include Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, and other intellectual disabilities.
About Our Services
The Arc of King County provides direct, hands-on support to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. We assist people through:
Outreach – By working to increase the knowledge and competence of the community at large in serving and interacting with people with developmental disabilities and their families.
Advocacy – By ensuring that individuals with developmental disabilities and the people who support them receive the information they need to access and influence community resources and services.
Direct Support – By facilitating the choices, inclusion and skills of people with developmental disabilities to live in our communities.
Most of our services are provided free of charge. These services include:
- Outreach to senior parents caring for their adult children with disabilities.
- Peer support for parents through support groups, advocacy activities, and e-mail lists
- Peer support and leadership training for self-advocacy.
- Parent classes on numerous topics.
- Direct support for adults living in their own homes.
- Outreach through our Information and Referral phone line and on-line resource guide at http://web.npowerseattle.org/arckc-development/resource-guide
- We serve approximately 6,000 individuals annually, including people with disabilities, family members, advocates, other professionals, school districts, and other organizations.
- We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, with funding from the United Way, local, city, and state contracts, and private contributions.
- We are a local chapter of The Arc of the United States and The Arc of Washington.
About The Blog
Anyone is free to submit an article for consideration. In fact, we encourage people with disabilities to share their perspectives! Articles we publish must be consistent with the values of the DD Act, namely self-determination, productivity, independence and integration/inclusion in all facets of community life. We decided to have this blog under some editorial supervision because there is a lot of mis-information in the DD community which would not be helpful. We hope to provide/publish information people can trust.
P: 206-364-6337 | 233 6th Ave N. Seattle, WA 98109 | firstname.lastname@example.org